South African Army Secretary Luzzani Mahwanya is facing backlash in his home country after the release of alleged comments he made during his official visit to Iran.
Comments that appear to suggest that Iran and South Africa have a common military goal come as Pretoria is trying to repair tensioned ties with US President Donald Trump and stabilize trade.
Last week, a 30% trade tariff on South African goods in the US began, causing domestic business owners to be wary. That’s despite Cyril Ramaphosa’s attempts to soothe Trump, including leading the delegation to the White House in May.
Here’s what you need to know about what the Army Chief said and why there is backlash against it.
What did the Army Secretary say in Iran?
According to Iranian state news agencies, news agencies, television and the Tehran Times, Mahwana has reportedly met with Iranian counterparts Major General Teyran Abdulrahim Musavi and Tehran Major General Abdulrahim Musavi.
“Recalling Iran’s historical support for the anti-apartheid struggle in South Africa, Commander Mahwanya said these relationships formed lasting ties between the two countries,” the press conference read.
According to the Tehran Times, he went on to say: “The Republic of South Africa and the Islamic Republic have a common goal. We are always standing with the oppressed and defenseless people of the world.”
Mahwana also reportedly condemned Israel’s “bombing of civilians lined up for food” and its “continued attacks on the occupied West Bank,” the Tehran Times reported.
His visit cited Mahwanya as saying he was “communicating a political message,” and came “at the best time possible to express his sincere feelings to people who love Iran.”
Meanwhile, General Musabi welcomed the South African genocide incident against the “Zionist regime” in the International Court of Justice, and said the efforts were in line with Iran’s policy, according to news television.
He also condemned the military and economic actions of the US and Israel against Iran as “violating international law and norms.” He added that Iranian troops are ready to provide “a more decisive response in the event of new aggression,” Press TV reported.

How did the South African government react?
Cyril Ramaphosa’s office on Thursday revealed that the president is unaware of General Mahwanya’s visit to Iran, but such trips will usually be approved by the Ministry of Defense, not the president’s office.
Ramaphosa appointed Mahwanya as Chief of the Army in 2021. In South Africa during the apartheid era, the general served in the Army Building of the African National Congress (ANC), which began as a liberation movement, and led a majority of Parliament until 2024.
President’s spokesman Vincent Magwenia said at a press conference that the general’s decision to visit Iran was in itself awfully timed.
“At this time of growing geopolitical tensions and conflict in the Middle East, we can say that visits are not wise.
He added: “We are in a delicate process of resetting political ties with the United States, but more importantly, balancing trade relations in ways that are mutually beneficial.”
Similarly, the Ministry of International Relations and the Ministry of Defense separated the government from the suspected comments of the Secretary of the Army.
“Unfortunately, it is unfortunate that a political and policy statement was made. The Minister of Defense (Matty Angelina Moschegga) is involved with General Mahwana on his return,” a statement from the Ministry of Defense read on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, the Democratic Union (DA) Party, one of the four political parties that form South Africa’s coalition government, is calling for the army chief to be heard in military courts on the grounds of “a prominent violation of the General Illegal Act and the SANDF Code of Conduct.”
“According to Iran’s national media, General Mahwanya has promised a “common goal” with Iran, supported its stance on Gaza and called for deeper strategic alignment,” the DA said in a statement Thursday.
“Such political statements are expressly prohibited by serving officers, violate the SANDF’s obligations of political neutrality and undermine the constitutional principle of civilian control over the military,” the party added.
US-South Africa relations are the lowest in decades, making this a particularly sensitive time, analysts say, as they follow a 12-day war between Iran, the US and the Israeli Union in June.
President Trump slapped 30% tariffs on South African goods entering the United States as part of a broad mutual tariff war in April. The United States is a major destination for South African goods such as automobiles, precious metals, and wine.
Trump’s main complaints in Pretoria include South Africa, who incites a massacre against the US ally, Israel, at the International Court of Justice amid the ongoing war in Gaza. He previously accused South Africa of strengthening ties with Iran.
Trump also falsely claimed that white South Africans are being persecuted in the country under the majority black leadership of the ANC, the country’s leading political party to which President Ramaphosa belongs. He also claims that South Africa is confiscating land belonging to white people.
White South Africans are wealthy minorities and are primarily descendants of Dutch settlers. The Afrikaner government ruled the country until 1990 under the racist apartheid system.
South Africa’s wealth, particularly the land, continues to be disproportionately controlled by the country’s white population. Recently, a group of extremist Africans claiming that white people are targeted by black people, pointing to incidents in which white farmers are being attacked by criminals on farmland.
Before the official fallout in June, Trump’s one-time adviser, Elon Musk, claimed white persecution, claiming that South African government’s business law blocks his internet company from operating within the country.
He was referring to laws requiring foreign companies to be partially owned by black people and other historically disadvantaged groups.
The South African government has denied the mask accusations.
In early May, the Trump government recognized 59 white “refugees” in its resettlement program to protect them.
Previously, the United States was in the Loggerheads with South Africa under former President Joe Biden about its close ties with Russia’s voice criticism of Israel.
According to analyst Chris Vandom, the latest incident repeats the 2022 scandal. The US alleges that South Africa denied that it allegedly had military supplies loaded onto ships and used in the Ukrainian War.
“The shaping of South Africa’s foreign policy and the lack of clarity and consistency around it has caused this confusion that people think of as saying things in line with what the country is thinking,” he said.

How did South Africa try to appease the United States?
On May 21, President Ramaphosa led a delegation to the White House to “reset” his “relationship” with Trump and ensure a lower tariff deal.
However, in a fierce conference, Ramaphosa refused to retreat from his claims of persecution of white people, despite making clear that South Africa faces widespread crimes in general and that there was no evidence that white people were particularly targeted.
During the meeting, South Africa offered to buy liquefied natural gas and invest $3.3 billion in the US industry in exchange for lower tariffs. The delegation also agreed to a review of the country’s business ownership laws.
However, Trump’s 30% tariff came into effect last week. Analysts say it could put up to 30,000 South African jobs at risk, especially in the manufacturing and agriculture sectors.
Meanwhile, the Ramaphosa government has pledged to take further action to ease the burden on manufacturers and exporters. Trade Minister Parks Tau told reporters on Tuesday that South Africa had submitted a revised proposal to Washington without giving details.
General Mahwanya’s declaration this week, therefore “we could not come at a bad time” due to South Africa’s diplomatic relations with the US, said Jakkie Cilliers, a security analyst at the International Security Institute, spoke to SABC, a South African state TV.
“It is very politically sensitive to the defence force chief pronounced very clearly and clearly at this point,” Cilliers said, adding that the general could be asked to resign upon his return.
What did General Mahwana say?
Mahwana, who said the presidency has returned to the country, has not issued a public statement about the controversy. It is unclear how the government will sanction him. President Ramaphosa will meet with the Army Secretary for a briefing in the coming weeks, a presidential spokesman said.