JERUSALEM (AP) – A key mediator on Tuesday highlighted the urgency to mediate a ceasefire Gaza After Hamas responded “positively” suggestionhowever, Israel has not yet weighed it as its troops prepare for attacks on some of the most populous regions of its territory.
The outlook for Enlarged attack Areas that displaced hundreds of thousands of civilians have sparked criticism in Israel and abroad. Most war-weary Palestinians have not even declared a humanitarian belt after 22 months of war.
Many Israelis, who It gathered in hundreds of thousands On Sunday, they fear that the attack will put the remaining hostages in Gaza even more dangerous. Of the remaining 50, 20 are thought to be alive.
“If this (ceasefire) proposal fails, the crisis will get worse,” Majed Al-Ansari, a spokesman for Qatar’s Foreign Ministry, told journalists, adding that he has not heard from Israel yet.
Witkov is invited to rejoin the consultation
Qatar is one of the countries that mediate to end the war. Al Ansari said Hamas agreed to the terms under discussion. He refused to provide details, but said the proposal was “almost identical” to that previously advanced by US envoy Steve Witkoff.
That US proposal is against a 60-day ceasefire, during which some of the remaining hostages will be released, and the flank negotiates a permanent ceasefire and a remaining return.
“If we reach a deal, we shouldn’t expect it to be implemented immediately,” Al-Ansari said. “We’re not there yet.”
The careful assessment said the Qatari Prime Minister joined the talks between Hamas leaders and Arab mediators the day after another mediator, Egyptian Foreign Minister, said he was pushing for a gradual transaction.
Witkov has been invited to rejoin the talks, Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatti told the Associated Press. Witkov withdrew from negotiations a month ago, accusing Hamas of not acting in good faith.
It was not clear how Witkov responded to the invitation.
Israeli officials said Monday that the country’s position, including the release of all hostages, had not changed. The official spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not permitted to speak to the media.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said there is a need for a final push to “complete Hamas’ defeat,” which he vowed to continue the war until all hostages are returned and Hamas is disarmed.
28 Palestinians killed in Gaza
The Gaza hospital said the bodies of 28 Palestinians killed Tuesday as Israeli strikes continued throughout the territory. Among them, nine people died while seeking assistance, officials from two hospitals told The Associated Press.
Hospital officials said deaths were recorded throughout Gaza, near the central Der Al Bala, South Khan Yunis and aid distribution point.
The Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, an Israeli-sponsored private contractor that has been Gaza’s leading aid since May, runs those sites.
Nasser Hospital also said the airstrikes killed their mother, father and three children in a tent overnight in Mwasi, a camp of hundreds of thousands of civilians.
“The whole family left in an instant. What was their fault?” said Majed al Mashwaki, the grandfather of the child, sobbing.
Neither the GHF nor the Israeli military immediately answered questions about the victims reported by Nasser, AWDA and Al-Aqsa Hospitals.
Palestinian deaths in the war exceeded 62,000 on Monday. Ministry of Health in Gazathis is part of the Hamas-run government, staffed by medical professionals. The ministry has not said how many deaths are civilians or combatants, but it says it accounts for about half of the women and children.
In addition to the toll, other Palestinians Malnutrition and hunger vThe ministry said Tuesday, including three people reported in the last 24 hours. 154 adults say they have died from malnutrition-related causes since late June when such deaths began counting, and since the war began with a Hamas-led attack on Israel on October 7, 2023, 112 children have died from malnutrition-related causes.
Aid groups continue to struggle to get supplies to Gaza. Israel imposed a full lockdown in March and then granted limited assistance to reopen in two months. The Israeli military division, which is responsible for humanitarian assistance to Gaza, said it had still fallen below the 370 truck aid that entered Tuesday, below the 600 units per day that the UN and partners said.
New attempts to provide assistance at the ocean
Israel has managed all Gaza border intersections since taking over Rafa’s Palestinian side in May 2024. Due to restricted land, the aid groups tried to deliver supplies through air and sea.
Cogat said Tuesday that 180 pallets of aid have been airborne into Gaza with help from countries including Jordan, the United Arab Emirates and France. The United Nations and partners call Airdrops expensive, inefficient and dangerous to people on earth.
A ship carrying 1,200 tonnes of food He left Cyprus on Tuesday for Israeli port in Ashdod, Israel, packed with pre-screened pasta, rice, baby food and canned goods.
___
Magiddi reported from Cairo and Gambrel in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Melanie Ridman was a contribution from Tel Aviv, Israel.
___
Follow the AP war report https://apnews.com/hub/israel-hamas-war