WASHINGTON (AP) – The US is deploying three Ejis guided missile destroyers off the coast of Venezuela. President Donald Trump Efforts to combat threats from Latin American drug cartels, according to US officials who were described about the plan.
USS is expected to arrive soon by USS Jason Dunham and USS Sampson, officials who are not authorized to comment on Tuesday, anonymous state, said.
Department of Defense officials confirmed that military assets were allocated to the region to support anti-drug efforts. Officials who were not authorized to comment on military programs said the vessel would be deployed “for several months.”
The deployment of US destroyers and personnel is because Trump used the US military to stop the cartels, pushing for fentanyl and other illegal drugs to perpetuate the flow of American communities and violence in some US cities.
Trump has also urged Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum to cooperate with more security than her predecessors. Mexican cartel. But she draws a clear line when it comes Mexican rightsrejects Trump and others’ suggestions for intervention by the US military.
February’s playing cards specified Venezuela’s Tren de AraguaEl Salvador’s MS-13 and six Mexico-based groups as foreign terrorist organizations. His Republican administration also strengthened immigration enforcement against suspected gangs.
This designation is usually reserved for groups like al-Qaeda and Islamic State Groups that use violence for political purposes. Latin American Cartel.
However, the Trump administration advocates international ties and operations for the group, including drug trafficking, immigrant smuggling and violent push to expand its territory.
Venezuela’s Ministry of Communications did not immediately reply to a request for comment.
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said Monday that the US has increased its threat to Venezuela and that it will order the deployment of more than 4.5 million militia members across the country. The militia was created by then-President Hugo Chavez and incorporated volunteers who could support the military in defending external and domestic attacks.
“The empire is crazy and has updated the threat to Venezuela’s peace and tranquility,” Maduro said at an event in Caracas without mentioning any particular actions.
Earlier this month, the Trump government announced it Doubled to $50 million Maduro’s reward for his arrest accused him of being one of the world’s biggest narc traffic and worked with the cartel to flood cocaine covered with fentanyl.
Maduro was indicted in New York federal court in 2020 during the first Trump presidency, along with several close allies in federal charges of drug terrorism and conspiracy to import cocaine. At the time, the US offered a $15 million reward for arrests.
___
Ruda reported from Caracas, Venezuela.