JERUSALEM (AP) – Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said after a “significant decision” by the Lebanese cabinet, Israeli forces can begin withdrawing from the territory they hold in southern Lebanon Early this month The group will work to disarmament the extremist group Hezbollah by the end of 2025.
Netanyahu said Monday that Lebanon takes necessary measures to disarm Hezbollah, and Israel will respond with mutual measures, including a gradual reduction in the presence of Israeli forces in southern Lebanon.
Since the Israeli-Hezbollah War ended in November 2024 US broker ceasefireHezbollah officials said the group would not discuss its disarmament. Israel retreats Control and stop within Lebanon from five hills Almost every day air bombing It killed or injured hundreds of people, most of them are Hezbollah members.
There was no immediate response by Lebanese authorities to Netanyahu’s statement.
Beirut was left seriously weakened, with many political and military leaders dead under US pressure to disarm groups that recently fought a 14-month war with Israel.
The announcement will be made after a visit to Israel US envoy Tom Barrackis trying to solidify a ceasefire and push Lebanon to advance Hezbollah’s disarmament.
During a visit to Lebanon last week, Barack said, “The Lebanese government has done their part” and “Now all we need is for Israel to comply with its equal handshake.”
Lebanon needs international support to rebuild after last year’s war. This left large strips of southern and eastern Lebanon in the country in abandoned, resulting in an estimated $11.1 billion in damages, according to the World Bank. International aid is likely to be subject to Hezbollah’s disarming.
However, the Lebanese government must act carefully to avoid an internal explosion of anxiety. Naim Qassem, Secretary-General of Hezbollah, vowed to fight efforts to disarm the group by banishing the fears of the country’s internal conflict.
Hezbollah’s leadership vowed not to disarm Central Government decision Removing arms from Iran-backed groups by the end of the year will be useful in Israel’s interests.
Israel accused Hezbollah of trying to rebuild its military capabilities, saying that the military is either five Lebanon locations offer an advantage or are located across from the northern Israeli community.
Since the end of the war, Hezbollah has withdrawn most of its fighter jets and weapons from areas along the Israeli border south of the Ritani River.
The ceasefire agreement blurs how Hezbollah’s weapons and military facilities should be treated north of the Ritani River, and says Lebanese authorities should demolish illicit facilities that begin in areas south of the river.
Hezbollah claims the deal only covers the region south of Ritani, and says Israel and the US are mandating the disarmament of groups across Lebanon.
The low-level conflict between Israel and Hezbollah began on October 7, 2023, the day after a Hamas-led attack on Israel, when Hezbollah began firing rockets across the border in support of its Palestinian allies. Conflict Escalated to war In September 2024, more than 4,000 people died.