Brazil, Brazil (AP) – Brazilian federal police blame the ex President Jer Bolsonaro A large amount could be received between March 2023 and February 2024 without obvious justification, potentially adding to the legal issues of potentially fought former leaders, according to documents obtained by the Associated Press on Thursday.
Investigators say Brazilian financial watchdog suspects there is a case of money laundering involving Bolsonaro in early September. Verdict and verdict His trial stage The alleged coup plot. The former president could face another trial if the Attorney General decides to charge him with accusations of obstructing justice.
Bolsonaro did not immediately comment on the latest accusations, but in the past he has claimed that he has been politically persecuted by President Luis Inacio Lula da Silva’s government.
New documents will be added to legal issues
A new document added to the 170-page long obstruction of justice investigation claims that Bolsonaro received more than 30 million Brazilian Leai ($5 million). He was president from January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2022.
The AP had access to documents sent to the country’s Supreme Court. Much of the information on Financial Watchdog comes from the state-owned bank Banco Do Brasil.
Reais ($3.48 million) of around 20 million people is said to come from a direct transaction of over 1.2 million known as PIX. Bolsonaro spent similar amounts on investments over the period. The document also showed that the former president spent money on wire transfers, paying for savings, withdrawing and exchanging operations.
Brazilian federal police say in a new document that Bolsonaro and his son Eduardo “use several manipulations to deny the origin and destination of the funds, and aims to provide the origin and support of funds, with the aim of the activities of the illegal nature of lawmakers (Eduardo Bolsonaro) living abroad.”
Previously, Bolsonaro’s lawyers said he was surprised by the federal police decision to formally condemn the obstruction of justice.
Bolsonaro considered exile in Argentina
A federal police investigation revealed on Wednesday that Bolsonaro considered what he wanted. Argentina’s political asylum Last year, and he has been in communication with his allies now, despite precautions that force him to be under house arrest.
Judge Alexandre de Moraise, who overseen the case, told Bolsonaro’s lawyers late Wednesday that they had told him. The former president spent 48 hours explaining why he was president He had not followed the measures established for his home arrest order.
Bolsonaro’s lawyers denied any misconduct in that case.
“We have never violated any precautions previously imposed,” the lawyer said in a statement. So they added that they will clarify in a timely manner against Bolsonaro’s recent des Moraise.
Also on Thursday, one of Bolsonaro’s lawyers said in a television interview that the former president never seriously considered seeking political asylum in Argentina. Paulo Cougne Bueno told Television Glove Scher that Bolsonaro received “all kinds of proposals” when the investigation into him progressed.
“Someone sent him that asylum request in February 2024. He could have left, but he didn’t. He didn’t want that and he wasn’t arrested at home either. Ankle monitoring. He had all the conditions to get away, but he didn’t,” Cunha said.
Bolsonaro claimed in a 33-page document to Mairei, who was being politically persecuted in Brazil, a document obtained by federal police. Both are solid supporters US President Donald Trump He recently repeated several of the former president’s claims in his decision to impose a 50% tariff on Brazilian exports.
Bolsonaro seized his passport in Brazil’s Supreme Court on February 8, 2024. He has repeatedly tried to get that back, including before Trump took office earlier this year. De Moraes rejected all requests as the former president is considered a flight risk.
Milei spokesman Manuel Adorni said the Argentine government has yet to receive anything.
The coup trial’s ruling and ruling comes from the five-person Supreme Court panel. They are expected to announce the ruling between September 2nd and 12th. The new findings are not part of that decision.
___
Follow the Associated Press in Latin America and the Caribbean https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america