WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration said Thursday it is reviewing more than 55 million people in effect US visa for violations That could lead to deportation. This is part of an increase in crackdown on foreigners who are allowed to be in the US.
In a written response to a question from the Associated Press, the Department said all US visa holders, which can include tourists from many countries, will be subject to “continued reviews,” turning to signs that they may be ineligible. Permission to enter or stay in the US.
If such information is found, The visa will be cancelledand if the visa holder is in the United States, he or she will be subject to deportation.
His administration has been focused since President Donald Trump took office Illegal deportation of immigrants in the US Similarly Student and Visitor Exchange Visa Owner. The new State Department language suggests that the ongoing review process, which officials acknowledge that it will take time, is much broader, and that even those approved to be in the US may suddenly see those permissions being revoked.
President Donald Trump will speak at the Kennedy Center in Washington on Wednesday, August 13th, 2025. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)
Last year, 12.8 million green cardholders and 3.6 million people used temporary visas in the United States, according to the Department of Homeland Security.
The 55 million figure suggests that some people being screened are currently outside the US with multiple entry tourist visas, said Julia Geratt, associate director of the U.S. Immigration Policy Program at the Institute for Immigration Policy. She questioned the value of the resources she would spend on people who might not return to the US.
The State Department said it was looking for indicators of ineligibility, including authorized time frames outlined on the visa, criminal activity, threats to public safety, engaged in any form of terrorist activity or providing support to terrorist organisations.
“We will review all information available as part of the review, including law enforcement or immigration records or other information indicating potential ineligibility after visa issuance,” the department said.
No more commercial truck driver workers visas
The US will also suspend issuing worker visas for commercial truck drivers, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on X on Thursday. He said the change would be effective immediately.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrives on Friday, August 15th, 2025 for a joint press conference between President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin at a joint base in Elmendorf Richardson, Alaska.
“As the number of foreign drivers driving large tractor-trailer trucks on US roads is increasing, putting American life at risk and overturning the livelihoods of American truck drivers,” Rubio posted.
Trump administration in the past few months Measures have been taken Implement the requirement that truck drivers speak and read English proficiency. The traffic department said the aim is to improve road safety following an incident in which drivers are able to read signs and speak English. It may have contributed Traffic death.
The State Department said it would pause processing of these working visas later Thursday to review the “screening and review protocol.”
“Ensuring that all drivers on our roads meet the highest standards is important to protect the livelihoods of American truck drivers and maintain a safe and resilient supply chain,” the department said.
Edward Alden, a senior fellow at the Council of Foreign Relations, said he helped foreign workers deal with the labor shortage of commercial truck drivers.
“This action should be viewed as part of a coordinated administration effort to discourage American businesses and other institutions such as universities and hospitals from hiring and retaining foreign workers,” Alden wrote in an email.
“The goal here is not to target a particular class of workers, but to send a message to American employers that there is a risk when employing foreign workers. The economic outcome is much greater than just visas stripped off foreign workers in some occupations.”
New reviews for all visa owners are a big extension
The government is steadily imposing More restrictions and requirements for visa applicantsincluding requiring them to submit in-person interviews. All visa owner reviews appear to be a major expansion, although they were primarily focused processes. Students involved in what the government perceives as pro-Palestinian or anti-Israel activities;.
Officials say it will be included in the review Social media accounts of all visa holdersalong with the country’s law enforcement and immigration records, and with viable violations of US law made while in the United States.
The review includes new tools for collecting data on past, present and future visa applicants. A complete scrutiny of social media sites This was made possible by new requirements introduced earlier this year. These require that the privacy switch on your mobile phone or other electronic devices or apps be turned off when the applicant appears in a visa interview.
“As part of the Trump administration’s commitment to protecting US national security and public safety, since inauguration day, the Department has revoked more than double the number of visas, including almost four times the student visas from the same period last year,” the Department said.
The majority of foreigners looking to come to the US require visas, particularly those who want to study or work for a long period of time. Among the short-term tourist or business visit exceptions are citizens of 40 mostly European and Asian countries who belong to the visa waiver programme.
However, the large strips of the world, including highly populated countries such as China, India, Indonesia, Russia and most of Africa, are not part of the program. This means that citizens must apply and receive a visa to travel to the United States.
Earlier this week, he said that since Trump returned to the White House, he has revoked more than 6,000 student visas due to tenure and violations of local, state and federal law.
He said that about 4,000 of these 6,000 were due to actual violations of the law, and that around 200-300 visas have been revoked on terrorist issues, including providing support to designated terrorist organizations and national sponsors of terrorism.
___
San Diego’s Elliot Spagut contributed.
___