WASHINGTON (AP) – President Donald Trump’s administration appealed supreme court Again on Wednesday, they bid to maintain billions of dollars in frozen foreign aid funds.
The Department of Justice has called for prompt intervention to halt lower court decisions that require money to continue flowing, including global health and AIDS programs.
justice rejected the Trump administration On the issue earlier this year, the court was split 5-4.
The Republican administration said the funds in question include around $12 billion that should be spent by September 30 if the lower court order remains.
Trump portrays foreign aid as wasteful spending that doesn’t align with his foreign policy goals.
Three split judge panels of the court of appeals in Washington The government’s allies Earlier this month, however, the full court immediately refused to stop the money flowing.
Nonprofits suing the government have said that a freeze on funding has broken federal laws. Shut down your funds Even the most urgent lifesaving programs abroad.