Washington (AP) – The US is boosting it Sea marine forces off the coast of Venezuela I’ll fight Threats from Latin American drug cartels The lawsuit promotes more speculation between Venezuelans, their government and their political opposition as more vessels are expected to arrive next week.
Analysts and current and former government officials believe there is no possibility of an invasion of Venezuela, as the US government was unaware of planned land invasions from more than 4,000 employees deployed in the region.
Still, the development dominates conversations on the streets and at the dinner table in Venezuela. Suspicion of threat of invasion It’s spilling from social media and state television.
The government has used speculation, primarily by appealing to people on its declining foundations, enlisting in the troops into the troops, and the opposition has once again characterized our actions as a sign of President Nicolas Maduro Rules that bring you closer to the end.
After confirming last week that three US Aegis Guided Missile Dessile Destroyers were deployed, it is likely that their military presence will expand. Three amphibious attack ships — including more than 4,000 sailors and the Marines — will enter waters off the coast of Latin America by next week, according to a defense official who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss ongoing business.
Here’s what you need to know about the situation:
What is the purpose of the deployment?
Daryl Cordle, the Navy’s new Naval Operations Chief, told reporters Thursday that the US ship is heading towards waters off the coast of South America to support “Venezuela operations and missions” including drug cartels. He didn’t say exactly where they were going.
Speaking at a naval base in Norfolk, Virginia, Caudle cited concerns that some Venezuelans are taking part in a massive drug business. However, he refused to provide details about the military’s targets, saying that much information was classified.
Caudle said his job is to provide a naval force for military commanders to deploy, providing “the choice for the president and the Secretary of Defense.”
The development comes as US President Donald Trump used the US military to stop the cartels, denounced fentanyl and other illegal drugs to the flow of American communities and perpetuated violence in some US cities.
February’s playing cards specified Venezuela’s Tren de AraguaSalvador’s MS-13 and six Mexico-based groups point to the international ties and operations of the group, including drug trafficking, immigration smuggling and violent pushes, as foreign terrorist organizations.
Christopher Sabatini, a researcher at Chatham House in London, has announced his deployment, designation of Tren de Aragua, and Maduro’s recent double in prize money It is part of the White House’s strategy of making “as much noise as possible” to satisfy Venezuela’s opposition, many of which are Trump supporters, who have “manipulated” high-level government officials into exile.
But he said, “There is no realism here regarding the possibility of actual invasion.”
How did the Maduro government react to the development?
When a state television host asked Maduro on Monday to “songs of these siren about the Marines’ fleet, the government ends,” the president said more than 90% of Venezuelans would reject “announcements and threats from the US government.”
“We, the Venezuelans, are within our own laws and no one touches this land,” Maduro added on a weekly television show.
Maduro also refused to accused drug trafficking from the United States, claiming that unlike neighbouring Colombia, Venezuela “has no coca leaf crops and no cocaine production.” He also suggested that the drug crime was a White House charge.
“They are no longer denounced anyone who wants to change the story and destroy being communists. That was the accusations they made during the Soviet Union,” Maduro said. “They no longer accuse them of being terrorists… (like) when they accuse Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya of being terrorists.
Venezuela’s UN ambassador Samuel Moncada met with Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Thursday and said the UN chief asked the U.S. government to halt “all its hostile actions and threats” and respect the sovereignty and territorial integrity.
Why is Venezuela asking for signing up for volunteer militias?
With the announcement of the US deployment, Maduro has called on Venezuelans to join volunteer militias to support the military in the event of an attack. Members hosted a sign-up drive over the weekend, but Maduro characterized it as successful without providing a number of new recruits.
The government plans to enlistment events on Friday and Saturday.
The ruling party has long claimed that militia membership would exceed 4.5 million, but that certainly has plummeted in support for the government, with millions of people, including Maduro supporters, migrated in search of better living conditions.
The figures contrast to the outcome of last year’s presidential election, with loyal election officials from the ruling party saying Maduro won despite credible evidence of opposition. Election officials claimed that Maduro had won 6.4 million votes and that a detailed tally sheet from the opposition showed he lost by 3.4 million votes.
What does Venezuela political opposition say about US ships?
opposition leader Maria Colina Machado, whose surrogate Edmundo Gonzalez has been recognized by the US and several other governments as a legal winner in the 2024 election, appeared on Fox News following the announcement, saying, “We are grateful that Trump administration officials with courage and transparency have given us courage towards the criminal enterprises that have taken Venezuela out of it.
“It’s time for change,” Machado said.
She also posted to X that Venezuelans “do not rely on” the government for not showing up in their militia recruitment efforts last weekend.
“The sky squares in Venezuela today tell us the approaching future,” she wrote.
But that promise is nothing new to the Venezuelans.
Chatham House’s Sabatini criticized opposition leaders for “sarcasmically manipulating people’s hopes” and “falling into this trap of invasion imminent.”
“They were just parked neutral,” Sabatini said. “This is a new opportunity they are trying to seize.”
___
Garcia Cano reported from Mexico City. Associated Press writer Ben Finley from Norfolk, Virginia contributed to this report.